Sunday, March 9, 2014

Radiator Shell

        This post is about the restoration of the stainless steel radiator shell.  I was bound and determined to use a genuine original shell, no matter how much work it needed.  For around $500.00, I could have bought a replica made in Taiwan, but that wasn't going to happen, not on this tractor!
         I spent 3 years searching for one that was in better condition than the original.  The original which was damaged and had many cracks and dents, were caused by "yours truly" as a young boy driving the Model A through the woods and around the fields of our property.
       I finally found a pretty nice one in Denver, Colorado at Burts Vintage Ford while visiting my daughter April who lives in Castle Rock.  I paid $100.00 for it.  It had a few small cracks and many minor dents down the sides.  The cracks I had tig-welded and then I spent 35 hours of lightly pounding out dents, metal filing, fine grit grinding, buffing and high speed bench polishing with 3 different compounds.  It looks great, if I should say so myself.  I'm very happy with it, and most of all, its an original "Oldie but Goodie".

                                                 Beginning of pounding and filing stage



I had to screw down the shroud to a table so I could metal file out the high spots.  Then, lots of careful filing so that I would not scar the stainless.
     


                   
      Then, I lightly ground and fine sanded the damaged areas.  When this was completed, I was ready for the high speed buffing and polishing.  I used a high speed bench polisher with 3 different compounds.




            Next, I installed the original crank hole door that I transferred from the original tractor shroud.  Believe it or not, I was able to reuse the tiny little copper rivet.  I then painted the bottom as it should be "flat black".



     After the polishing and painting was done, I riveted all new hood welting onto the shroud.
   



     Here it is, finished and installed.  Looks like new! Very happy how it came out.  The Ford emblem is also original and I reinstalled it at the top center area (as you can see in the picture).  The last step was to put on the new "Flying Quail" radiator cap.  My father was a big fan of hood ornaments and I know would have loved this.  I have old photos of the tractor, taken in the late 40's, which show a Flying Quail radiator cap he once had on the tractor.




No comments:

Post a Comment