Sunday, August 31, 2014

steering wheel

The steering wheel restoration was a real project.  It took me three times to get it right.  It is a 1947 Ford Deluxe wheel.  The wheel was loaded with cracks, so I took a hacksaw blade and cut each crack to the steal frame work and completely coated the wheel with 2 part epoxy.  I would let it set up over night then spend hours hand sanding, then priming then putting on the base coat only to find I missed a few cracks!!  As any painter knows, you cannot fill a crack with spray paint, so the crack would immediately show up.  I would then strip the wheel to the epoxy and start again.  I did this 3 times !!!
Finally, No cracks and then 3 coats of clear.  the color is PT Cruiser off white. Chased a guy down driving one in a parking lot to get the paint code.
           the horn ring I found in Hersey Pa. three years ago.  It was amazing, the first thing on my list was the horn ring and the first booth I walked up to, there it was hanging right in front of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment